Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Ramblings on the future

We all play the "What if" games everyday when it comes to the Wings. What if Ozzie retires? What if Ozzie doesn't retire? What if Draper retires? What if Draper doesn't retire? A million what ifs can be made. I want to make it clear that I would like to see both Draper and Ozzie on the ice in Traverse City come September. The likelihood that I will see both is getting slimmer by the minute. Am I a dreamer for wanting these players that I've watched for years to stay with the team? Maybe. But like I discussed in a previous blog, that's because I am emotionally invested in them. Below are a list of possible happenings and my ramblings of what I would like to see if they come true.

Osgood is forced to retire from hockey

If Chris Osgood is left with no other choice but to retire from the game there are three possibilities that I would like to see him consider for a career post his playing career. The three possibilities are Assistant Goalie Coach to Jim Bedard, Goalie coach for the Grand Rapids Griffins, and color commentator. Making Chris the Assistant to Jim Bedard would allow him to still support and mentor Jimmy Howard which is very important. It's been made obvious that Jimmy looks to Chris for strength and guidance in times of stress and uncertainty and I believe having Chris there for Jimmy in some capacity would be good for Jimmy's mental state. If that is an impossibility, I would not mind seeing Ozzie take over the reigns as goalie coach in Grand Rapids. Not only would he still be able to help Jimmy (from a distance), he would be able to nurture and foster the goalie talent in Grand Rapids. If coaching isn't on the horizon for Chris, I wouldn't mind seeing him kick Pierre or Larry out from between the benches. A naturally charismatic and entertaining guy, Chris would bring a whole new style to the commentators.

Kris Draper is left with no other choice but to retire

If Kris Draper, one of the most dedicated Red Wings, is left with no other choice to retire I can only see him doing one thing. That one thing would be becoming the Director of player fitness and health. Does such a position exist? Probably not but I'm sure that the Red Wings could or would create such a position to keep Kris with the organization. Kris is usually the guy that leads the workouts and motivates the guys to hit the gym. Keeping Drapes in that type of role in an official capacity and not in an player capacity would likely make the transition from player to former player a lot easier for Kris. The job that I propose would also give Kris the opportunity to spend time with his family and be able to be there more for them.

Conklin returns to the Red Wings as a back-up goalie

If Ty Conklin, the crazy Alaskan native, returns to the Wings as a backup I'd like to see only one thing. I'd like to see him step up to the plate more than he did before. That's not to say that in the 2008-09 season he didn't, but I'd like to see him push himself more if given this monumental opportunity. If Ty comes in and doesn't push himself or doesn't perform like he should, many will question the decision not to go with Chris Osgood as the backup. I think, if given the nod, Ty would step up to the plate to the best of his ability. I just hope that he could be as calming and influential to Jimmy as Ozzie is/was. An American born goalie duo is the stuff that dreams are made of and I'd like to see a successful duo on the Wings.

Grand Rapids is stuck with a Goalie-Go-Round

There has been talk that Joey MacDonald would like to be the third goalie in our system yet again if possible. I like Joey Mac. I do. Even if he does drive a monster truck that's double my height. That being said, I'd hate to see a veteran goalie like Joey push one of our prospects aside and start in Grand Rapids. The Wings just showed tremendous faith in Jordan Pearce by signing him to a two year deal and I'd like to see him be given an opportunity to prove to the Wings that when they're ready, he'll be there. If Grand Rapids splits the games or even does a 60/40 or 70/30 percentage on the starts it would, in my opinion, be good for the development of Pearce.

Who do we pair with Commodore?

I'd like to see them pair Jonathan Ericsson with Mike Commodore. Before the Jonathan Ericsson hate parade comes to Hockeytown, hear me out. Mike and Jonny E are both similar in size. Mike is 6'5" and E is 6'4". Mike tips the scales at roughly 228lbs. while E weighs in a 218lbs. Very close in height and not TOO far off in weight. That being said, I think Mike could be able to teach E how to use his size and practice good on ice methods for his size. Many complain about how many penalties E takes but lest we forget that the last really big defenseman we had took a lot of penalties too. Drawing a blank? Jiri Fischer. E took 87 minutes in penalties in this past season. Looks like a lot right? Not exactly. When you're taller it seems like you can't get away with much. The extension of a stick looks much more dramatic due to the larger wingspan. Boston Bruins Captain and all around terrifying dude, took one more penalty minute than E this regular season. Just three seasons ago, Chara took 27 more penalty minutes than E when he amassed a collection of 114 minutes in the box. Jiri Fischer had a few years of consistent penalties as well. Fisch took 59 in 55 games, 67 in 80 games, and 75 in 81 games. Not exactly the numbers of one perfect captain who in his career has never had more than 50 penalty minutes in one regular season but numbers like that aren't uncommon amongst the tallest of defenseman. I think Mike could help E get grittier and use his size better.


And with that I'm done rambling.

No comments:

Post a Comment