Thursday, July 14, 2011

I'm sick of it. You're sick of it. Let's be sick of it together.



"Hahaha. Let's have Mike Commodore wear number 64 so he'll be Commodore 64. Hahaha."


That joke was funny for about an hour when the Red Wings signed Mike and has grown tired and played out. I am completely not for this whole notion that Mike Commodore HAS to wear the number 64. In fact, I'd prefer if he didn't wear 64. But if he does or doesn't is his choice. When the rest of the NHL chimes in and wants a player to wear a number so that they'll get a good laugh out of it, I have issues with that. When a certain blogger known for hating the Red Wings chimes in and wants Mike to wear that number so that blogger can have a good laugh, I have a problem with that. When fans of the Wings say that the only reason that they'll support Mike Commodore is if he wears 64, I have an issue with that.

If the only way you'll support Mike Commodore on the Detroit Red Wings is if he wears 64 and is the punchline of the season for the rest of the NHL then maybe you should reconsider why your fandom. I'm not saying that wanting him to wear 64 makes you less of a fan, I'm just saying that if that is the sole and only reason you would support him then maybe you shouldn't even concern yourself with him. A number shouldn't determine whether or not you like a player. I 100% guarantee that Mike did not come here to be a joke or the team's gimmick. Players don't come to this team thinking, "Wow, I sure would like to be the laughing stock of Detroit!" They come here to have a good chance at winning, to win, or to be a part of one of the best organizations in professional sports. The number they choose should not reflect upon how you view them as a player.

Furthermore, the rest of the NHL putting pressure on Mike to wear 64 should just mind their business. At the end of the day, I don't pressure Patrick Kane to change his number to 20 because I think I could have a good laugh of it. Why? Because what number a player wears is and should always be of the player's choosing and not due to pressure by people who think a computer joke is funny. Those hellbent on making Mike look like a jerk if he doesn't end up wearing 64 should really reexamine their lives.


With that, I'm done discussing this issue. Mike will make his choice for himself in Traverse City at training camp.

No comments:

Post a Comment