Tuesday, July 19, 2011

If today is the day


Days like today are the days when the non-emotionally invested "fans" revel in the fact that they don't give a fuck. The past month has been a roller coaster ride when it came to the fate of one of my favorite goalies, Chris Osgood. It looks like today might be the day that Ozzie will hang up the skates.

I will always have a soft spot for Chris. Even though I had considered the possibility that Chris would hang them up, I never accepted that to be the case. And when he hung them up, I expected to watch a press conference full of "Don't cry for me Argentina" jokes and classic Osgood satire. But it looks like one of my all-time favorite Wings will probably hang up the skates via telephone call. I understand that a low-key, no hoopla affair is right up Ozzie's alley but you can't help but know that Chris deserves all the hoopla. We would not have won the cup in 1998 or 2008 without him and anyone who says otherwise is a fool.

When I met my fabulous group of hockey friends, some of our first jokes involved Chris Osgood. From quoting his Red Wing yearbook interview to laughing at him drinking Pepsi on the ice at training camp, Ozzie was the center on our attention. When people were down on him in late October, that same group of friends and I made a sign that simply said in big bold letters "We love you Ozzie".

Today is one of those days that I'll be glad to be at work missing all the action on twitter. So many want to discredit Chris Osgood and bash him. To all the Ozzie haters I simply say, Fuck you. If today is the day that Ozzie says goodbye to his playing career then everyone should check their negative bullshit at the door and celebrate the career of Chris. Jimmy would not be the player he is today without Ozzie. This organization would not be the way it is today without Ozzie. I would not be the fan I am today without Ozzie. Losing Ozzie will be like losing an internal organ or rather getting a transplant. A big piece will be missing out of that locker room and I hope whatever goalie replaces him steps up in a huge way to try and fill that void.

If today is the day:


Ozzie,

Thank you for everything that you have done for this organization. Thank you for giving so much of yourself to make this team what it is today. Thank you for the hard times and the good times. Thank you for everything. No matter what the HOF voters or bullshit sceptics say, You belong in the Hall of Fame in my book.

We'll miss you and we love you, Ozzie.

More than you'll ever know.





If today isn't the day:
THANK WHATEVER GOD YOU DO OR DO NOT BELIEVE IN.

No comments:

Post a Comment