Tuesday, December 7, 2010

A Singular Deke Profile


Name:
Tyler Devereaux

Blog or Site that you blog for:
The Triple Deke

Tell us something about your blog or the site that you blog for:
TTD is a hockey blog that, when you add up all of the posts together, probably contains about 13% actual hockey content and the rest is stream-of-conscious nonsense disguised as a veiled attempt at humor.

Who is the most underrated player?
As perceived by fans outside of Detroit, Jimmy is always going to be underrated on this team as long as there's an abundance of talent in front of him. Around the league I'm looking at Jan Hejda, Mikko Koivu, Tobias Enstrom, Ryan Callahan, and Ian White -- who is a good player that can't stop getting traded. And this will leave me with absolutely no friends, but I think that people claim Mike Green is so overrated that he has almost become underrated as a result, because nobody wants to acknowledge his offensive contributions. In the Internet's defense, Mike Green is a total douche bag.

Who is the most overrated player?
For the time being, it can't not be Ilya Kovalchuk. Which saddens me because he's one of my favorite players, and because it's an extremely cliche answer. But in terms of money wasted on an investment, right now, he's the only answer to this question.

What is the first jersey you ever owned?
The first jersey I ever owned was a red Steve Yzerman jersey. I wore it every other day and kept it on when eating dangerous foods like spaghetti and other stain-inducing Italian cuisine. I also played street hockey in it, because I am a complete moron.

What is the most important piece of hockey memorabilia you own?
A framed Gordie Howe picture that is signed and has the words, "To Tyler: Best of Luck -- Gordie Howe." In a perfect world it would be signed in his blood and read, "I am better than you in ever conceivable way" but beggars can't be choosers.

What’s one rule you’d like to get rid of and why?
Intent to blow. In the year 3500 when this rule has long been abolished, hockey historians will look back on this time period and remark, "So wait. A play could be ruled dead at the mere thought of a referee blowing his whistle, even if some important event (like I don't know, a goal), could occur between then and the actual sound of the whistle, and you would have to pretend as if that goal never happened? And they couldn't review this?" Actually, we're saying all of this stuff right now. So in essence, there is a rule in place currently that makes about as much sense as the Earth being flat. Intent to Blow = the Earth is flat. This league is ruled by ancient Greece.


What one rule would you add in it’s place and why?
I don't know if a coach's challenge eliminates that, because we've seen referees review plays that are obvious goals but end up with rulings such as "The play was blown dead, even though the puck was never covered and went into the net, so, yeah, suck it Brad May." I think we'd be safer off if plays were reviewed by Brendan Shanahan's dog.

Who’s creepier- Ovie or Crosby and why?
Ovechkin. Crosby doesn't really creep me out per se, but just from looking at him, I'm relatively certain that Ovie has killed somebody.

Which team has the best logo?
I like that one with the wheel and the feathers.


Who is your favorite all-time player?
Gonna go under the radar here and say Steve Yzerman. He alone made me fall head first in love with hockey. And men, I think.

Who is your favorite player now?
Datsyuk. He does at least one thing that makes me laugh every game, and at least one thing that makes me sad because I'm not smart enough to comprehend it.

What team do you love to hate?
I love to hate the Blackhawks. Things are better when they're relevant.

What player do you love to hate?
Corey Perry. I like my sports better when there are villains and he's a damn good one.

What are your thoughts on Puck Bunnies?
I'd imagine I'd have more of an opinion if I weren't just a dumb guy, but I have a withering attention span and hey what's that over there

What are some of your favorite hockey blogs to read?
Blogs that make me laugh, or think, or both. Babcock's Death Stare was the best mix before Kyle moved on to real life grown-up people work. Herm and J.J. from Kansas are the two funniest Wings reads for me. Kings writer Rudy Kelly at Battle of California is my favorite non-Detroit blogger.

What player do you like that’s not on your chosen favorite team?
I like Zach Parise more than a number of Red Wings.

What team surprises you the most this year?
I picked the Devils to be in the Finals. So yeah.

What is your favorite hockey memory?
1996, Steve Yzerman, double overtime. It was great watching the four championships, it's been great watching all of the great players, but to go total cornball on you: the moments like this one are the ultimate reason I live to watch sports. Going from wanting to puke out of nervousness to absolute bliss like that is something that you can't replicate with anything else.

Which team has the worst jersey (third jerseys included)?
Anaheim's 3rd jersey is beyond the scope of awful. Few people know this, but it actually went back in time and shot Abraham Lincoln. It's pure evil.

Of the floundering teams which team should pack up and move to a new market? Do you think the NHL will ever let that happen?
The thought of there being a professional hockey team in Miami instead of somewhere in Canada physically pains me. Miami is just a bad sports town, period.

Do you follow other sports besides hockey or are you a one-sport fan?
I'm a fan of all sports, and pull for all of Detroit's teams. I'm also a proud Michigan State alum and supporter.


What player from all the other teams that would you love to have on your team?
Zach Parise. With a 17 year contract at $650 K / per.



Keep it or Get rid it

Ticket Stubs: I keep them all. No joke, on the driver's side visor in my car, I have a Wings/Blackhawks stub with Brett Lebda's face on it from last season. I see Lebda's face every time I go somewhere and it makes me chuckle.

An email from Colin Campbell: Keep it. I could save it and use it in the future to make my blog popular and have old guys on TSN tell me how mom's basement-y I am.


Biz Nasty on Twitter: I'm the one guy not following him.

A Zetter-Sweater: I personally wouldn't be able to pull it off. But I'd keep one if Z took it off and threw it at like Mean Joe Green.

Dan O’Halloran: Rid.

Sergei Fedorov: Keep.

Touch up Icing: Nope.

Shoot out: IT'S A WITCH

Gary Bettman: .......................

Tickets to a Phoenix game: Keep it and go hang out with about 11,000 Wings fans.

Gap in your teeth: Keep it.

Puck Bunnies: Keep. What?

Puck from a losing effort: Keep it.



Sean Avery’s sloppy seconds: Keep it. If we're talking about Elisha Cuthbert, it can be sloppy 98ths.


A signed Sidney Crosby picture just for you: Keep. It's no guarantee that my toilet will work tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment