Saturday, December 4, 2010

Profiling A Transplant

Today's profile comes from the ever-so sarcastic Doug of The Detroit Transplant.

Name: Doug


Blog or Site that you blog for: The Detroit Transplant


Tell us something about your blog or the site that you blog for: I am highly sarcastic. I cover both Detroit and Arizona teams, mostly Detroit though-- since clearly they're the only city worth covering. A lot of times I wind up covering the things no one wants to write about (i.e. business), because I find them interesting. I love debating, so I write a lot of charged statements as well. Usually gets some people fired up.

Who is the most underrated player? Right now? James Howard. Snubbed on the Calder, not even mentioned on the All Star Ballot. Thankfully he's #2 in the West goalie ballot right now... how's that taste, NHL?


Who is the most overrated player? God, this is a tough question. I would say Toews, but he was huge in the playoffs last year. Oh wait, how could I forget? Kovy.

What is the first jersey you ever owned? A Red Wings jersey, no name or number. I think I was like 5ish. And, I still have it, it's on the wall in my extra bedroom.

What is the most important piece of hockey memorabilia you own? Oh man, I don't think I've ever owned anything amazingly cool. The best thing I ever got was an autographed stick from a semi-pro team here in Phoenix-- the Mustangs. I won it in a raffle.

What’s one rule you’d like to get rid of and why? The trapezoid. Not only is it ugly (not really important), but it got rid of the whole heart atteack inducing Hasek type of play. Sure would make the game a little more interesting sometimes I'm sure. Or you could just get Dan Boyle to score for you.

What one rule would you add in it’s place and why? Taking head shots more seriously. And cheap shots. The NHL seems to favor certain teams (which now we know is true) with their officials, and I've seen my share of holy-crap-where's-the-call shots on my boys this year. Time to level it out.

Who’s creepier- Ovie or Crosby and why? Ovie hands down. It's the teeth. But I like Ovi way more too, so it's out of love that I say this.

Which team has the best logo? ...Really? Detroit, obviously.

Who is your favorite all-time player? GAH, being a Detroit fan, this is definitely one of the toughest questions to ask. Being that I played defenseman my entire life, I have to say that I always idolized Nick. And now more than ever, he's 40 and playing like he's 20. The man is immortal.

Who is your favorite player now? Pavs hands down. His stick-handling gives me goosebumps, and he's hilarious. Not sure if he's intentionally funny, or if it's his English, though.

What team do you love to hate? There's quite a few, but the top 2 are Chicago and Phoenix. Why Phoenix? The playoffs left a bad taste in my mouth. Not the outcome, but the way Phoenix fans acted toward me. It was shocking to see people crawl out of the woodwork and just suddenly hate the Red Wings. Then again, when has that not happened? Funny too, because it seems like they all left the state this season... or maybe it was bandwag... NO WAY. And obviously, Chicago. No explanation needed.

What player do you love to hate? Another tough one. And believe me, there are a lot here too. #1 has to be Luongo. I never cared for him, and he seems like kind of a baby. He flops, complains, and whines constantly-- something I've always hated in the NHL. Of course, my grandmother is a Newfie, and so I grew up cheering for team Canada. You can imagine my horror when I noticed who started for us in the Olympics. And then of course he got auto-drafted on my fantasy team-- like the ghost that won't go away.

What are your thoughts on Puck Bunnies? I don't have to deal with them really, but the few I have met-- gaaaah. I avoid them at all costs.

What are some of your favorite hockey blogs to read? Fight Night at the Joe, TPL, NOHS and Beards of War. I like the twisted sense of humor featured on all of them fairly frequently. And of course, the Hockey Blogette for jackhole of the week. ;)

What player do you like that’s not on your chosen favorite team? Claude Giroux. I don't know what it is about the kid, I just love his hustle, and he makes big plays for a Flyers team that--let's be honest-- is not a team that should've been in the finals last year. I also love watching Ovi play.

What team surprises you the most this year? Two teams: Tampa Bay and Phoenix. Neither team I expected to be any form of competitive this season, and somehow their young talents have stepped it up. I hope TB can make the playoffs this year, it would be nice to have an Eastern Conference team that I didn't despise to cheer for.

What is your favorite hockey memory? My first game in AZ. Two things happened that are hilarious to look back at now, but TOTALLY sucked when they happened. #1, my brand new stick shattered on a shot from the point during a power play, leading to a 3 on 1, and #2, I got a steal because I was horrbly out of position, wound up on a breakaway, but my skate dug in and I ate it-- right into the goalie. Why would this be a favorite? Because it taught me to never buy sticks from a big chain store, and to work on my shootout/breakaway skills. Plus, how can you not laugh?

Which team has the worst jersey (third jerseys included)? If we're going current, Atlanta takes the cake easily. That third jersey belongs on the Hawks, not on Atlanta's hockey team.

Of the floundering teams which team should pack up and move to a new market? Do you think the NHL will ever let that happen? Well, being that I live in the absolute worst hockey climate in the United States, yes, I think Phoenix should set sail. Why? It's a dying star, and throwing money at it clearly is not working-- even with a marginally successful team this year. It took Detroit and Pittsburgh to come to town in their first 6 games for them to break 50% capacity. the other 4 games between those? 38%, 47%, 47%, and 39%. Pathetic.

Do you follow other sports besides hockey or are you a one-sport fan? I am a Detroit fan. In order: Lions, Red Wings, MSU, Tigers, Pistons. If I had to pick my least favorite sport, it would be the NBA's version of "basketball," because it has turned into a glorified live soap opera, instead of a sport.



What player from all the other teams that would you love to have on your team? On the Red Wings: Steven Stamkos (make it happen Stevie Y), on the Lions: Tom Brady (can't believe I just said that), on the Tigers: Tim Lincecum (who wouldn't want him), and on the Pistons: anyone better than Charlie V and Ben Gordon (half the NBA).






Keep it or Get rid it

Ticket Stubs: Keep. It's fun to find them later and look back on the game.
An email from Colin Campbell: To me? Of course keep, it's blackmail for later!
A Zetter-Sweater: I love argyle. So keep.
Dan O’Halloran: Send him to Siberia. He invented the Holmstrom-extended crease.
Sergei Fedorov: Hate to say it, but get rid of. Like him my entire childhood. Changed in a day though.
Touch up Icing: I could honestly care less, but for the sake of the speed of the game, it's got to stay. Keep.
Shoot out: I'm torn on this one. Who doesn't love a shootout? It's intense. But at the same time, very anti-climactic. Either bump it up to 5 shooters, or get rid of it.
Gary Bettman: He's the reason the NHL has issues growing. Get rid of him.
Tickets to a Phoenix game: Keep, because I live within driving distance. Hockey is hockey, no matter how much dump-and-chase the team plays.
Gap in your teeth: Get rid of it. Unless you're Carcillo or Michael Strahan. Those are iconic gaps.
Puck Bunnies: Bye bye.
Puck from a losing effort: It's rubber, who cares? Keep.
Jersey from a player long gone (i.e. A Detroit Hossa jersey): I admit, I have a Hull jersey. I didn't buy it, my grandparents did. But if it was Hossa? That makes a great fire-starter (after I salvage our logo, of course).
A signed Sidney Crosby picture just for you: If I ever got that close to Cindy, I may have to punch him. ANd then he'd invite me to his basement to shoot pucks in his old dryer. Oh, the picture? Yeah, I'd sell it on Ebay, who cares if my name's on it.
Colin Campbell: Adios, a-hole.

No comments:

Post a Comment