Saturday, April 30, 2011

The past can't be rewritten

As per usual, a rash of Dany Heatley jokes broke out pre and post the Sharks v. Wings game last night. The break out of these jokes had many polarized. Part were in the "I'll say what I want" group, some in the "Those jokes are in poor taste" category, and then there were those who stayed out of it. In this argument, I fall into the last category. I am fairly neutral on the issue.

I saw many go completely up in arms over these jokes but on other occasions allow others to slam, make jokes, put-down, and dehumanize Todd Bertuzzi. Some even make the Steve Moore/Todd Bertuzzi jokes themselves. Now I'm not one to bring up Todd Bertuzzi's past because I believe he has worked very hard to move past it. That being said, Why is what Todd Bertuzzi did somehow worse than what Dany Heatley did? Both acted reckless with their actions and did not expect the outcome that transpired. Preach forgiveness and understanding for one player yet not for another. Vehicular homicide is in no way more or less forgivable than a punch/fall with horrendous results. Just because an on-ice play is not as easy to relate to than a car accident doesn't mean that one should be forgiven and allowed to live his live without having to constantly hear about previous actions and the other should not. Both of these men have paid the price for their actions and live every day with the guilt. I say both. Not just Dany. It is said that it takes a good deal of character to judge a person by his future instead of his past.

I am all for free speech and I do not judge those who choose to joke. Say what you feel and what you want. Yes, Heatley jokes are not politically correct and some are in very poor taste but before you condemn someone for them make sure you extend the same courtesy to Todd Bertuzzi. If you don't you start a pot and kettle race war.

No comments:

Post a Comment