Thursday, August 25, 2011

Pink- it's not love at first sight



Under female based sports marketing schemes, any ladies reading this should automatically buy anything I attempt to sell them now because I covered the female sports marketing basics. Make it pink, make it sparkly, make it flashy, and make it ooze girlyness.

Does Jimmy Howard rock a hot pink jersey onto the ice? No. Does Nick Lidstrom dunk himself in glitter prior to every game? No. So why would I, a female fan, need or want to wear a pink or sparkly jersey? If pink and flashy shiny materials were part of the players' uniforms them maybe I'd have less of an aversion to them. But in the NHL, pink and sparkly aren't part of the jersey color-wheel.

"We wear pink to show that we're girls"
Give me a break. I don't believe for one second that a woman should have to wear a pink jersey to distinguish that we are female. I wear a standard jersey and have never been mistaken for a man in my life while wearing said jersey. I would imagine if you were that adamant about showing off the fact that you have lady parts, fitted jerseys and fitted t-shirts would be an alternative.


Fitted jerseys and t-shirts are one thing but changing the color scheme entirely is a whole different animal. If the team's colors are pink, then by all means wear pink. In the case that your team's colors are pink I would hope that you wear pink to support your team. But if your team's colors are red and white or blue and yellow, pink is not an alternative to those colors. When you see a sea of Red and White in the crowd at Joe Louis Arena that's for a reason. The reason is the people are representing the Wings by wearing their team colors. Pink is not one of their team colors. Pink is not any NHL team's color.




Please, Take your jersey fashion advice from Nick.


If he's not wearing a pink/sparkly/glitterized/flashy/girly hockey jersey, then neither should you.

2 comments:

  1. I want one of these!! Where can i get one?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Give me a break. No one EVER said girls HAVE to wear pink jerseys. My girlfriend is right next to me and she WANTS a pink jersey (in fact looking for one is how I came across this page).

    It's not about showing you're a girl, it's the fact that it's pink and some girls LIKE the color pink and WANT to wear the color pink.

    ReplyDelete