Thursday, April 21, 2011

This one's for you, kid.


Never in my life would I have expected something as small as a scribble on a jersey would mean so much.


Most people that have met me know that the idea of asking someone to write their name on an object that you will allegedly cherish forever doesn't sit right with me. I generally don't like that but when I found out that Jiri Fischer was the alumni at the MotorCity viewing party I owed it to my 14 year old self to get that autograph. Jiri Fischer was that player for me. That player that I chose as a prospect to "be somebody" and "do something". I followed his career from the minors to the Stanley cup to the very end and I still follow him in his new role in the front office. Was Jiri Fischer the best player to lace up the skates ever? No. But I think I can speak for most everyone that has ever met Jiri Fischer in saying that he is one of the most genuinely nice human beings in the world. His reaction when I set his jersey on the table was priceless. He looked almost in shock when I set the jersey on the table and after a brief exchange as I was leaving the table he looked over and said "Thank you for buying my jersey". Nothing could ever melt my little black heart like the sincerity in his voice.

If you ever have the opportunity to meet Jiri Fischer... Take it.

1 comment:

  1. Awwwww!!! Jiri was always one of my favorites. I'm glad that, even though his playing career was tragically cut short, he has a place within this Organization.

    He's definitely one of the Good Ones.

    ReplyDelete